List Price: $230
Weight Range: 4 to 30 lbs
The Good – Side-impact protection and protective foam insert; Premium LATCH connectors; Click & Go system enables it to be used as part of a travel system. Tangle-free and easily adjustable 5-point harness; No-Rebound Bar; Quick-adjust No Re-thread harness.
The Bad – Very heavy to carry around (19.5 lbs); Large and bulky which means it won’t fit easily into many vehicles.
The Bottom Line – The Britax Chaperone is a very good infant car seat. It has some excellent safety features. However, it is very large and heavy which means that it will be impossible to safely fit into many vehicles. It is more expensive than the Britax B-Safe 35 and I don’t think that it is worth the extra money (especially when you take account of the size/weight issue).
Britax Chaperone – Overview
This is my fully independent and objective Britax Chaperone car seat review.
The Britax Chaperone Infant car seat is designed for babies weighing between 4 – 30 lbs. The maximum height restriction is 32″ tall (slightly more than most infant seats) and a seated shoulder height range of 6.5 to 11 inches. It is a very heavy seat to carry around and is also very bulky – this makes it awkward to transport and difficult to install in many standard-sized vehicles. Having said that, the seat had some great safety features as one would expect from a company like Britax.
- True Side Impact Protection offers a head restraint creating an extra layer of energy-absorbing foam, keeping the head, neck and spine “in true” or aligned, and deep side walls lined with energy-absorbing foam to distribute crash forces, shield from vehicle intrusion, and contain the head, neck and body
- Anti-Rebound Bar
- Quick-adjust No Re-thread harness
- Tangle-free 5-Point Harness distributes crash forces across the strongest parts of the body and provides a secure fit
- Energy Absorbing foam absorbs and distributes crash forces
- 30-pound Weight Capacity for safety and comfort through the first years
- Large Multiple Position Canopy blocks wind, rain, and harmful UV rays from baby’s sensitive skin
- High Density Comfort Foam provides an extra layer of padding to gently cushion your child
- Plush, Premium Cover Set with matching belly pad provides extra comfort
- Stroller Compatible Design works with BRITAX B-READY, B-NIMBLE, B-SCENE, B-AGILE strollers, using the integrated CLICK & GO adapter system, and CHAPERONE stroller to create a convenient travel system. Also compatible with other major stroller brands when used with BRITAX adapter strap (included).
- Ergonomic Carry-Handle designed to contour to forearm to allow for more comfortable carrying of child in car seat
- Premium Lower LATCH connectors for a quick and simple installation featuring a push button for easy release
- Built-in Lock Offs ensure a snug lap and shoulder belt installation with minimal effort
- Front Harness Adjuster provides effortless front adjustment when loosening the harness system
- Easy-to-Read Level Indicators provide quick reference for proper angle of recline
- Easy-to-Install Seat-to-Base Design self-guides car seat into proper locked position
- Easy-to-Install Base with LATCH Connector Storage (Included)
- Height Adjustment Knob (on base) for proper seat angle and positioning
- Low Birth Weight Foam Insert to be used for infants weighing 4 – 11 pounds to achieve a snug harness fit
- Certified for Aircraft Travel
Peace of Mind
Whenever I am looking to buy a car seat, Britax models are always the first that I consider buying. Their reputation for car safety innovation is second to none and they continue to exceed the minimum car seat safety requirements by a huge margin. This seat is no exception.
The main problem with the seat though is that I would not fit into my vehicle and my wife would definitely not have been able to carry it around comfortably given its size and weight. The weight on its own might have been ok, but the bulkiness of the seat would be a deal-breaker for me.
The Chaperone’s Weight Vs other Infant Car Seats
The Chaperone weighs 19.5 lbs. Its physical dimensions are 30 x 18.3 x 25.3 inches.
The Britax B-Safe weighs 16 lbs. Its physical dimension are 27.5 x 17.5 x 15.5 inches.
The Chicco Keyfit 30 weighs 21.2 lbs. Its physical dimensions are 17 x 24 x 22 inches.
The Maxi Cosi Mico AP weighs 8 lbs. Its physical dimensions are 28.5 x 17.5 x 25.5 inches.
Value for Money
This is quite an expensive car seat unit when compared with some of its competitors. At $199, it is the same price as the Maxi Cosi Mico AP, $10 more than the Chicco Keyfit 30, and $55 more than the Britax B-Safe.
After purchasing any child car seat, you should always read the User Manual thoroughly before using it. It is also advisable to visit your local Fire Department or NHTSA Child Car Seat Inspection Centre to ensure that the seat is definitely suitable for your child’s specific requirements and that you have installed it correctly. These services are usually provided free of charge.
You can find your nearest NHTSA Centre here.
If you have any feedback or questions about my Britax Chaperone Review, please feel free to leave a comment below or send an email to email@example.com